It’s HOT out! I’m not talking “hot” as in typical spring in Spokane hot, where all the kids at my school bust out their short shorts and crop tops at the first little bit of sun only to shiver their buns off when they have to trudge through the parking lot in the 38 degree early morning weather. No, no. Legitimate 80 degree AMAZING clear blue, sunshiny wonderfulness. We still have a month and a half left of school, so I might kick myself for this later, but I couldn’t resist the siren song of the warmth when my English class begged to do our vocab activity outside. Whatevs to classroom management. And no, whatevs is not allowed as a vocab word.
I’ve been devouring these delicious PB&J acai bowls for months now, but they are much more weather appropriate these days. So much so, they might become a standby lunch for those days when the temperature makes normal food feel too heavy…you know? This nice, chilly smoothie bowl version of one of my favorite sandwiches is just right for that.
Some of the ingredients might sound a little strange (I was skeptical I could make one of these on my own), but you can find everything you need at Trader Joe’s, which just reinforces the fact that it’s one of my favorite places (yes, places, not just a favorite grocery store) in the world.
- 1 packet frozen acai puree
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 banana
- Heaping spoonful of peanut butter
- Handful of granola (I like TJ's Ancient Grains and Nuts)
- 3-4 sliced strawberries
- 1/2 sliced banana
- Handful of blueberries
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs or finely chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tsp honey
- Run acai packet under warm water until soft enough to break up into 4-6 pieces.
- Add acai puree, almond milk, 1/2 banana, and peanut butter to your blender. If you have a smoothie cup attachment for your blender, this is the perfect size for 1-2 servings.
- Blend all smoothie ingredients until smooth and combined.
- Pour smoothie into bowl.
- Top with granola, add sliced fruit, and finish with a sprinkle of chocolate and drizzle of honey.
Don’t forget to wipe your face; I definitely went to work with purple lips a few weeks ago, and I just know my face didn’t look nearly that cute.
Enjoy the sunshine!